[Gllug] Bush internet computer

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Sun Jan 27 23:25:39 UTC 2002

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Pete Ryland wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 01:58:07PM +0000, Richard Cohen wrote:
> > Seriously...  goes nicely with the iPAQ if we can get them running Linux.
>
> The ipaq actually runs linux quite nicely.  Some screenshots of it running
> Qtopia are at http://www.trolltech.com/products/qtopia/screenshots.html if
> you are interested.

I know Linux runs on the iPAQ - I've had one for around 15 months now, and
it's been running Linux since a few hours after I got it home.  I wanted to
let the battery charge a bit before flashing it...

I meant to say "if we can get the Bush boxes running Linux".

I'm not a fan of QPE (whatever marketing name they happen to have given it),
but I do use, support and develop (in a small way) for Familiar.

I keep threatening to do a proper GLLUG talk on the iPAQ - the last one I
gave was just a touch rambling, since I'd only had the device for 4 days at
that point, and had planned a talk on a pretty different subject.  It'll
happen some day.

>  The Zaurus has a very similar architecture too, but has a 16bit display
>  and ships with a similar installation of linux put together by lineo and
>  very much based on qtopia + hancom office.  I was actually lucky enough
>  to be able to borrow one of these over last weekend (a development model
>  though, with only half the RAM).  Very nice.  And it had some nifty games
>  on it too; written by some Norwegian ex-demo coders. :)

I like the iPAQ better as a hacker's tool/toy.  There are three things which
Familiar gives me which I'd miss on a QPE box - completely open and
controllable system, Python-GTK and real X.  Plus, I've had the iPAQ for
long enough that the Zaurus was purely vapourware when I bought my iPAQ...

> Pete

Cheers
Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk