[Gllug] Advocacy required.

Darran D. Rimron-Molloy darran at rimron.co.uk
Sat Jan 5 18:12:45 UTC 2002

> Thinking out loud,
> we need a demo machine with KDE or Gnome, set up
> with the Redmond windows decorations and colour scheme.

I would suggest gnome, because the majority[1] of the app's on the common
desktop are GTK based, and the theme would be consistant.

> Install OpenOffice 6.0, plus Evolution.

Both GTK based, backing up the theory above, plus Mozilla or Netscape 6.2,
the latest player from Real, um, MPlayer from the SDL project (handles
MS/ASX streaming media, so the documentation leads me to believe), any other
obvious candidates for a demo-desktop?

We should, perhaps, hackup some sort of "MS-Free Desktop FAQ" for the less
enlightened out-there.

I'm [or my company, and give it to the open source community] willing to put
together some sort of mini-HOWTO type document on the topic, "Linux Desktops
for the Microsoft generation" :)

Hell, I've been looking for an excuse to put together my own distribution
for a long time... have some ideas for the installer I REALLY wanted to try
out :) but this is too big a project, for now, I feel.... but we could
REALLY do with some sort of complete installer CD.

Drop in drive and it just "goes" - working on the principle that this is a
brand-new PC.  Hell, if such an OEM disk existed, this would be the first
"nice" step to getting an OEM-Linux setup for desktop makers.

	-Darran

[1] source of survey, the nearest 100% Linux machine to my current
geographical location, and a quick scan of the most commonly used & running
apps :)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk