[Gllug] AMR modems - and first post!

John Hearns john.hearns at framestore-cfc.com
Tue Jan 1 12:00:34 UTC 2002

Happy New Year! All the best for 2002.

I'm surprised no-one has beat me to the first post of 2002!
And me after a night out in Glasgow,
complete with half bottle in coat pocket.
Plus a quick visit to the Western (not for me thank goodness-
I met an old chap in the street who had a bad cut on his
napper, and had to take him to casualty...)
Followed by scenes in the frozen streets of Partick resembling
Napoleon's retreat from Moscow staged in an ice rink as hundreds
of party casualities trudged, slipped and slid their ways home
from the city centre with not a bus or empty taxi in sight.
Finally (ahem) dragging myself in at 6 am...

Anyway,
has anyone ever had any success with one of these
AMR (Audio Modem Riser) modems? As far as I'm concerned,
they are the invention of Auld Nick.
Specifically, I bought an Asus barebones system from Scan,
which was billed as Linux compatible. Hah...
The modem is an Asus model,
lspci comes back with VIA Technologies AC97 Modem Controller,
if that is any help. The part is stamped Mr Modem 56K.

I reckon I'm stuffed, and will have to buy another modem.
Can anyone help me to say for sure which (if any) internal PCI
modems are hardware-only?
How about US Robotics? Is there a good web page for this sort
of stuff (I've been Googling for a couple of days, and have
looked at linmodems etc.)

Anyone any idea if I could have some comeback to Scan,
as I specifically bought this system to run Linux?

John H.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk