[Gllug] Working with Linux in the UK.

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Sun Jan 6 22:35:30 UTC 2002

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 08:27:22PM +0000, Kieran wrote:
> As an aside, I've heard that in Australia, agencies will advertise
> non-existent jobs, to get candidates on their books.  Does anyone have
> experience of this in the UK?

IME, it happens pretty rarely there (and not at all outside Sydney and
Melbourne I would expect) compared to here in London where it's the norm ATM
from what I gather.  The agents here are crafty to the point where they try
to find out what other jobs are going in an attempt to cut the other agent's
grass.  I had a ten minute argument with some guy the other day offering
a contract job at some ludicrous rate wanting to know the names of companies
that I'd been put forward for jobs for.  He said if I didn't tell him then I
obviously didn't want to be put forward for what he was offering.  He didn't
seem to understand that it would not only be immoral of me to do so but also
illegal.

Pete