[Gllug] CPU heatsink question.

gllug at uncertainty.org.uk gllug at uncertainty.org.uk
Tue Jan 15 20:09:48 UTC 2002

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 03:53:27PM -0000, Jackson, Harry wrote:
> [...]

testament to the resilience of CPU's from

http://www.quietpc.com/faq.html

I have a Pentium II processor. Can I use your SECC2 Radial Fin cooler on
it?

The SECC2 cooler is designed only for slotted Pentium III processors.
Although the CPU is the same physical size as the Pentium II,
unfortunately the mounting mechanism is different. It is possible to use
a SECC2 cooler on a Pentium II, but installation is very involved and
not for the faint-hearted. Installation (as with all our products) is at
your own risk! If you are thinking about trying it, here is a report
which one customer kindly gave on his (successful) experience. His
advice is summarised as follows: don't try it unless you are prepared to
potentially write off the CPU!

"Firstly, opening the plastic casing is very hard - it is held by
heatsink-like push in studs. However, after brute force, the next
problem was that heat sink was held down with star screws or pop rivets,
(hard to tell which). I eventually drilled out their centres to release.
But heat sink plate not as described - just a plate with usual studs
held down by two bits of metal with butterfly press-ins directly on the
PCB! Next, we put the Radial Fin SECC2 cooler on, but there is now no
plastic backing for your own metal holder to press onto; rather, it
presses onto components - too risky and looks like electrical contact
could be made. The old heat plate was too thick to come between the PCB
and new clip so I reverted to the old clips. Apart from the usual card
seating (PC won't start) problem, the PC booted up fine and we hope it
will not overheat because contact with radial fan is good. Amazing how
resiliant PC technology is, with drilling and levering going on!"

BTW - does anyone have experience of the kit from this company ?

I keep wishing for a quieter computer but it doesn't seem like you can
buy them off the shelf ...

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk