[Gllug] Firewall which works even when the machine is shut down

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 12 21:49:49 UTC 2002

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Murray Peterson stated:
> An interesting idea.  You would loose the ability to log once your
> filesystems are unmounted, which may not be ideal - unless you can keep
> syslog running and log messages to a remote machine.

You can't. Userspace is dead, *gone*, no tasks are running except for
the idle task; all that is running is interrupt handlers. (But that is,
of course, enough to forward packets.)

It's useful if you want a really *secure* firewall; all that's left to
cause problems is port-forwarding holes in the firewall.

(Can't do it here though because with no userspace I have no way to
bring the phone line up and down. :) )

--
`Perhaps you should have asked Santa for your program as a Christmas
present.' --- Terran Melconian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk