[Gllug] PPP link

rdrinkwater rdrinkwater at dial.pipex.com
Wed Jan 23 15:12:41 UTC 2002

Hi folks,

Can anybody give me a pointer (manuals, books, tips etc) on how to solve
the following.

I have set up a new Mandrake 8 "box" with squid and have configured a PPP
link to a service provider.

I have configured the "Internet" icon with the providers access info
(pwd, telno etc) and when I click on it the link gets established.  I can
then run Netscape (or Konqueror) with no problems.

When I close N or K the PPP link is not closed and I have to manually
terminate it.

BTW this is all done from the Desktop.

I am now trying to configure it such that when N or K tries to access an
htpp address the PPP link gets established automatically and likewise
when they are closed the link is also closed.

The pppd daemon is running but it must be waiting for something to talk
to it but I can’t discover any obvious hooks.

All suggestions will be gratefully received.

Regards

Roy Drinkwater

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk