[Gllug] OT travel in town

John Hearns john.hearns at framestore-cfc.com
Wed Jan 30 12:36:57 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-01-30 at 12:01, Martyn Drake wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 11:41:40 +0000 George Saxby wrote:
>
> However, it is still scary stuff.  Given the technology that we have now,
> I just wish more employers would look at teleworking so that we can give
> the tube a miss and just let the blasted tourists use it.  I have ADSL at
> home, a good well-specced machine with software to boot, a telephone,
> scanner, webcam and access to a fax machine.  I could easily work from
> home and be very productive there, but nope.  The boss does not allow it.

Good points, but it does rather depend on your job.

I once worked for the UK brach of a Swedish firm, Nuclear Diagnostics
http://www.nuclear-diagnostics.com
At the time, mobile phones weren't common and I was surprised to get one
on day one. The boss, Jan, also positively encouraged me to work from
home. I later realised that he was right - I wasn't generating income
for the company while polishing my chair back at the office.
He didn't mind where I was, just that if a job needed done I was there.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk