[Gllug] OT travel in town

Formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jan 31 01:36:50 UTC 2002

 Not sure exactly which city, maybe Paris where you only can drive
 in the city on a day if your number plate is even and the next day
 if it is not.

 Not very helpfull idea in here though,

 Does anyone know when or if the supposed goverment new number plate's
 design is going to be implemented?

 I did have a good laugh when I heard about putting some indicator for the
 city or demographic area on it. (1)

 We had that in spain, number plate equal to:

 1-2 letters Province Denominator + 4 digits + 1-2 letters.

 like m-2046-vc, m = madrid, po-2611-bp = dad's one, the letters go
 sequentially, they started  with none m-00001, when they sold 99999 cars
 they went to m-0000-a, when finished with the next 9999,
 m-0000-b, when you get to the z, you  add another letter m-0000-ab, no
 equal vowels together are allowed.

 Simple and practical.

 No personalized number plates, one for each car, no transfers....

 We are all equal.

 Only police and the military guys, and special vehicles like cranes,
 agricultural machinery, trailers ... have differnet ones.

 This system had a big problem though, by simply looking at the number
 plate you knew where the car was bought, people from the Basque Country
 had a hard time selling their cars, people feared they had been used by ETA.

 Cars from the coast provinces sold worst that the ones from the interior.

 Another was stupid football hooligans shouting... at cars with number
 plates from their rival's place after the matches.

 (1) Some kind of car racism, now they have moved to the "european model",

  Simply 4 digits + 3 letters, so there is no way of knowing at first sight
 where the car is from. To differenciate cars from portugal and spain or
 any other eu country that has adopted it you only have a really little
 country flag plus the country code.

 On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Vincent AE Scott wrote:

 > Formi(formi at blueyonder.co.uk)@Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 12:25:36PM +0000:
> >
> >  And they planned to use parfum...
> >
> >  That would be a good mix, I guess the fleas are the only ones
> >  who get a good deal, they travel for free.
> >

> >  I think the transport situation in london is beyond repair unless
> >  somebody(1) comes out with pretty radical ideas, one I would agree with
> >  would be to ban private cars with only one person inside them. Including
> >  dodgy mini-cabs.
> >
> >  (1), not a politician, more like a dictator.
> >
> >                                                        Formi.
> >

> tehy do that in north america.
> it's called car pooling, they have designated lanes on the
> highway/freeways for cars with more than one occupant.

  Have they learnt what to do in the roundbouts or
  did they stop building them?

 *** The problem with the US is that out of city you have to drive miles
 to go anywhere, huge shopping malls in the middle of nowhere...
 And the cheap petrol doesnt help... ***

 BBC Open University program words, not mine.

                                                               Formi.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk