[Gllug] Thinkpad harddisk wanted.

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 14 22:00:00 UTC 2002

Ian Northeast wrote:

> Gordon Joly wrote:
> >

> > >Tips for anyone new to taking a PC apart.
> > >
> > >Wear kevlar gloves.
> > >Move the swear box to another room.
> > >Replace 60Watt bulbs with 40000 lighthouse standards.
> > >Do not under any circumstances RTFM.
> > >
> > >Harry
> >
> > I thought that was the Mac instructions?
>
> They seem to have taken this approach with Darwin (the cooking version
> of Mac-OSX which runs on x86). Half of the man pages are missing and
> documentation is almost non existent. I'm trying to add a user; it says
> "use standard Unix commands". It also says that the reference platform
> is FreeBSD. There's no adduser command. There's vipw (no man page), but
> making an entry with that appears to have no effect.
>
> There are a few Mac users here I think. Anyone know a way to add a user
> from the command line in Mac-OSX? It might be the same.

Never mind, sussed it with some extensive googling. "niutil". Obvious
eh? There is a man page but it is extensively unhelpful. Every command
has a parameter <domain>. The local/default domain is called "." and
this is mentioned only obliquely. The rest of the parameters are
basically not documented at all. My new user works, but doesn't appear
in /etc/passwd or /etc/master.passwd.

I'm rather getting to like this OS, if you can call it that. It presents
something like a challenge:)

Regards, Ian

PS apologies if this has crossed any answer; Demon's mail "service" is
going through an even more crap than usual phase ATM.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk