[Gllug] Open Ports

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 29 08:51:10 UTC 2002

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Chris Bell moaned:
> On Mon 28 Jan, tet at accucard.com wrote:
>>
>> The worst offender for this, though, was a Windows 3.11 app I once saw
>> (I can't even remember it's name now), which had a check box labelled
>> "don't disable foobar". If that was unchecked, then you have a triple
>> negative to try and express what you want to do. True, we're not
>> talking about anything that extreme here, but the same principle
>> applies.
>>
>    I would suggest that you don't even look at how your computer works,
> there is plenty of multiple negative logic in there because the binary
> signals need to be enabled or disabled (held either at 0 or 1) by

Er, the point is that *humans* are bad at handling repeated negatives,
because the handling of such in human language is inconsistent (even
*within* some languages, e.g. English).

Computers should try to adapt to humans in this respect, I think.

--
`However, if you want to detect whether (say, 1 in 1000) cars are being
 abducted by bunnies along their route, you've got a whole new problem.'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk