[Gllug] Open Ports

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Tue Jan 29 09:22:37 UTC 2002

>   I would suggest that you don't even look at how your computer works,
>there is plenty of multiple negative logic in there because the binary
>signals need to be enabled or disabled (held either at 0 or 1) by
>combinations of other binary signals. Binary logic gates come in all
>possible combinations, and are then interconnected to produce the complex
>circuit elements.

When the laws of physics that govern the universe in which we live
were created, they weren't designed to make life easy for humans to
understand, so we have to live with what we're given. Furthermore,
when creating a CPU, the designers quite rightly don't pay much
attention to how easy it is for an end user to understand what's
happening inside. They just try to make it work as well as possible.
They *can* try and make the user interface (i.e., the instruction
set) as well designed as possible, although they don't always succeed
at that :-) But the implementation details behind that interface can
contain as many double/triple/whatever negatives as is needed.

When we're designing an interface to be used by humans, however, such
as in a program like xinetd, it makes sense for us to make it as clear
as possible.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk