[Gllug] Working with Linux in the UK.

Iain Conochie iain at thargoid.co.uk
Tue Jan 8 10:28:29 UTC 2002

On Sun, 6 Jan 2002, William Palfreman wrote:

> They may well be evenly spread - I personally suspect there are more Linux
> jobs per head in London (particularly Soho/West end, the City and the
> Docklands) then anywhere else in the UK.  The point is there are typically
> some very experienced people chasing those 85 jobs, whereas outside London
> being able to read a zone file and install a kernel upgrade is respected,
> say with 1 years comercial experience or "I used it a lot at college".
> Totally different world.  When I was applying for jobs in London I found
> it very hard even getting as far as a telephone interview.

Just to be devils advocate, I was forced to move down to London from
Glasgow as there were 3 Linux jobs going in the whole of Scotland, one of
which I had just left!! I basically walked into a job down here.......
(June last year)

> Don't care :-)  Not my problem at all.  What matters is the wide range of
> "real" jobs (i.e. not there simply for CV-harvesting purposes) and the
> close links with recruitment agenies who actually call you back and put
> real effort into fixing you up.

Agencies up north are an absolute nightmare. Unless you call them every
day, then basically forget about them getting you a job. In London, they
actually seem to make an effort for you.

Just my tuppence worth..

Monkey

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk