[Gllug] Working with Linux in the UK.

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Tue Jan 8 13:00:34 UTC 2002

I make it a rule to treat agencies as just another database. I used to do
some IT support for a small temp/general personnel one and they have a short
list in mind. If a job comes up then they think through the short list and
call whoever they think isn't working. When that list's exhausted (fairly
often) they'll do what amounts to a keyword search through the database of
resumes they have and sift through the results. Much like searching the web
in that regard.

In any case I think that it's best to submit a resume; and try to line up a
talk to one of the people who handles jobs for an employer (this may not be
possible). Make a good impression - you may make it into that person's short
list. Repeat until you find a job or run out of agencies. Should you run out
of agencies (not likely in London) go back to the first one and try to talk
to somebody; resubmit a newer/better resume and generally find an excuse for
them to remember who you are. If you're on the short list (or a couple)
you're as good as employed within a fortnight.

Never expect an agency to find work for you; don't even hope for it. Treat
agencies the same way they treat you: dirt until you're useful dirt - then
you're gold. Always remember that they want to put you in a job so they get
a commission; if you can help them get their commission then they'll
remember you.

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk