[Gllug] Realtek

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 31 21:52:06 UTC 2002

"Jackson, Harry" wrote:

> Hi all
>
> After 3 months of a windows free environment I had the joy of reinstalling
> NT last night.

I installed an NT workstation this morning. Complete with token ring
card and Cirrus video adapter which NT doesn't have drivers for. In an
hour and a half flat and it works perfectly. Very worrying, I seem to be
getting good at this.

> The little Realtek card that has been serving me faithfully
> for these three months under red hat refuses to comply under NT. Its an
> 8019as and I have the drivers for it so it some bollocks in windows that is
> not seeing the damned thing or interrupts blah blah.
>
> This card is getting on and I am after a replacement. I also noticed that I
> have got a full duplex port on the switch so I am after a card that can cope
> with this 200Mb. I would really like a 1Gb card but the cheapest switch I
> seen was $900 so I will have to wait for another year. Does anyone have any
> recommendations on cards that run on Linux and Windows.

Either an RTL8139 (cheap, fast and reputed to be unreliable although
I've had no trouble) or an Intel EtherExpress Pro/100 (expensive, fast
and reliable).

I don't think NT has drivers for either as standard but they're not hard
to find and come with the card if you obtain it legitimately. Linux has
both of course.

The best thing IMO about the Intel card is that it is supported in every
known  operating system for Intel HW AFAICT. Even Apple Darwin/Intel
supports it - it is the only card it does support. I did have a bit of
trouble with one in OS/2 once but then..

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk