[Gllug] TV-Out under Linux

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 19 04:40:35 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-01-18 at 10:53, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> On Fri 18 Jan, tet at accucard.com made the following spurious claims:
>
> > No need. There's a native Linux version. However, on mine, at least, the
> > TV out options are greyed out. No idea how to activate them, but I assume
> > since they put them there in the first place, there must be a way
> > somehow.
>
> The TV-Out only works with the G400, not the G450 or G550.  These
> options will stay greyed out until the driver supports it.

Are you certain this is the case?

I was under the impression that these features were available with the
G450/550 cards if you load the mga_hal.o module from Matrox. I believe
you will need to download their driver from the website, as the
necessary code is in the closed source parts.

> I suspect the problem is Macrovision.  If they released an open source
> driver, Macrovision would be trivial to disable.  However they already
> have a closed-source component so I don't see why they can't stick it
> in there.

Macrovision has indeed been a problem. However, Matrox also don't open
source for talking to digital flat panels, and a couple of other useful
things with the G550. I was going to buy the card, but I'm less than
impressed that it's so dependent on closed source code for useful
functionality.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk