[Gllug] Geforce2

Rodger Etz-Brown reb at b4mad.net
Tue Jan 22 19:28:53 UTC 2002

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 02:27:52PM +0000, David Irvine wrote:

> To install  X4.x in  woody,
>
> apt-get install xserver-xfree86 should upgrade to xf4 if it says not
> upgrading because X Y or Z you  may  need  to  apt-get  dist-upgrade
> first.

IMHO it seems easier to do a dist-upgrade like this:
(assuming Potato with X installed)

- Edit your /etc/apt/sources.list so it points to woody (don't use
  testing, call it directly by its name. Otherwise you might get into
  some trouble when unstable becomes testing during Woody's release as
  stable.

- do: apt-get update

- do: apt-get dist-upgrade

This should upgrade almost everything, incl. X.

It sometimes happens that when you start dselect after such action it
will / wants to upgrade or even install more stuff that apt itself has
ignored. Just say yes and get over with it.

This is all in simple terms speaking. When you get to know the in's and
out's of apt you might do it slightly different anyway.

> you can  then use the debian config tool which is quite good too, it
> sometimes takes a couple of  tries so you may need to
>
> dpkg-reconfigure  xserver-xfree86 to re-run the installer

IRC, this will be run when you upgrade X to 4.x.x. But I am not quite
sure.

Whenever you configure it you will be presented with a list of drivers
I guess the driver you need is called something like
nvidia :) If you are unsure or cannot find it go to

http://www.xfree86.org/4.1.0/Status22.html#22

And see how that relates to your card.

Hope this helps.
REB

P.S.: Blimey, I must be on speed ...... I cannot stop writing emails or
talking .... somebody help me ........

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk