[Gllug] CPU heatsink question.

Simon A. Boggis simon at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Tue Jan 15 17:20:38 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-01-15 at 16:55, John Hearns wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-01-15 at 16:41, Jackson, Harry wrote:
> >

> > We always used alcohol but this may be a problem for some ;-). Some cleaners
> > play havoc with the conformal coating on boards (I think that's the correct
> > spelling).
>
> A bit unrelated, but there was a thread on the Scottish LUG on
> the use of WD40.
> Someone said that he had a noisy case cooling fan,
> and was advised to try a squirt of WD40. Someone else came
> back and said that WD40 had ruined his motherboard.
> Reason given was that it is conductive - I'm not sure.
> Do you know, Harry?

I wouldn't use WD40 - it's too light, and will probably act more like a
solvent (which would be good if you wanted to remove grease from the
bearing).

If you remove most fans, there will be a circular sticker covering one
side. Carefully peel it up, and there is a hole, thru which the bearing
spindle shows. A very small drop of light machine oil applied there
usually does the trick. I would still buy a replacement if available,
but this will often keep an old fan working for a while.

On the heatsink thermal contact compound, most of the ones these days
don't set (they have a silicone oil in them) and old stuff can be wiped
away, before applying some fresh compound. If it's a drying sort, then
brushing down and applying a sufficient layer of the non-setting sort
ought to do the trick nicely. I wouldn't put solvents very close to the
motherboard (and most solvents you can get your hands on won't dissolve
silicon based compounds).

Simon

Simon A. Boggis 					Systems Programmer
Department of Computer Science,
Queen Mary, University of London, London E1 4NS UK.     Tel. 020 7882
7522

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk