[Gllug] Working with Linux in the UK.

Martyn Drake martyn at alug.org.uk
Sun Jan 6 20:44:36 UTC 2002

Hi,

Apologies if I'm going to be boring everybody with this...

It's a tough market in London at the moment.  I've applied to about 5
jobs all in all that specifically dealt with Linux.  The majority of
stuff that has been passed to me from recruitment agencies has been
Solaris, Solaris and Solaris.  It's amazing when a firm interviews a
non-agency person and you find that they've got the job even though
feedback has been extremely positive.

I've only just started working for a company with mixed Linux/NT servers
after a three month stint on the unemployment line (was made redundant
before I got married and went on honeymoon - that's how bad the market
was or still is), but there is an opportunity happening later this month
(funnily enough in Soho and the immediately surrounding area which is
where all of those previous 5 interviews took place) that's extremely
exciting (and would probably involve a bit of bleeding edge Linux stuff
- at least I hope it does) and I hope that I stand *some* chance of
winning the place.  I can't name names here, but there is at least
somebody here on this list that already works for them ;)

The biggest problem for me is that my salary has also dropped.  When I
was at my peak, I was earning between £28,000 and £35,000 and now I'm
forced to work towards the lower end of £20,000-£30,000.  When I was
first working and setting up an ISP in the Norwich area I was earning
less than £9,000 (which I suppose for Norwich is okay - I could live off
of it give the mortgage that I had, and the cost of living in that area,
and so on).  For that I was the systems administrator, the technical
support chappie, the developer and web designer, and everything else on
top of that.

Given the job market at the moment, I feel like I'm back at square one.

I hear that East Anglia is quite a good place for the Linux professional
at the moment, as is Cambridge.

Regards,

	Martyn

--