[Gllug] Working with Linux in the UK.

Darran D. Rimron-Molloy darran at rimron.co.uk
Sun Jan 6 22:16:48 UTC 2002

> It's a tough market in London at the moment.  I've applied to about 5
> jobs all in all that specifically dealt with Linux.  The majority of
> stuff that has been passed to me from recruitment agencies has been
> Solaris, Solaris and Solaris.  It's amazing when a firm interviews a
> non-agency person and you find that they've got the job even though
> feedback has been extremely positive.

When I was hunting last, I could apply for 35+ jobs per week, via jobserve,
etc. and hear nothing back, even after chasing phonecalls, etc. I'm hoping
it's better this time around. My CV is a whole lot better, and it wasn't bad
then.... ;)

> I've only just started working for a company with mixed Linux/NT servers
> after a three month stint on the unemployment line (was made redundant
> before I got married and went on honeymoon

I got fired the day I returned from honeymoon a few years back, because I
refused to take support calls while away.

> The biggest problem for me is that my salary has also dropped.  When I
> was at my peak, I was earning between £28,000 and £35,000 and now I'm
> forced to work towards the lower end of £20,000-£30,000.

My takehome (ie, post tax) for '00->01 was about £130,000 ish, this year I
am going to be lucky to see a £40,000 - and anything less than that, I can't
live on. My best friend was on £55,000 last year, now is unemployed after
the Atlantic Telecom fiasco - been job hunting 2 months, had 1 interview so
far.  He's a *VERY* qualified and skilled web-developer, wrote huge
interactive, database driven sites for companies I probably shouldn't
name.... but if have looked for a holiday or flight online recently, you
probably seen his work :)

> Given the job market at the moment, I feel like I'm back at square one.

I disagree. Atleast on square one, you had less commitments, more openings
and a more willing attitude (ie, you have a vacancy, I'll take it, oh, btw,
what is it?)

> I hear that East Anglia is quite a good place for the Linux professional
> at the moment, as is Cambridge.

As in don't expect more than £25,000 - I've already looked there. Quite a
bit happening in Leeds, if anyones wants to move.... but again, the rate is
low. Jobs that are pushing 75k+ down here are calling 45k there. Still great
money for the area, but the workload is huge.

I have been running my own company, linux based, was doing GOOD. It went
pearshaped. I'm in alot of poo now, jobhuting is happening.

I have also had other irons in the fire, one which my mortgage, etc was
banking on... that went "pop" yesterday, so as of yesterday, I'm out
hunting.... It's that or, um, well, just that really....

	-Darran

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk