[Gllug] 3D tools

Martyn Drake martyn at alug.org.uk
Wed Jan 30 10:50:57 UTC 2002

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:41:36 +0000 Huw Lynes wrote:

> On Wednesday 30 January 2002 08:04, Jonathan Dye wrote:
> > Are there any free 3D modeling tools for Linux?  I would like a tool
> > to create some models so that I can then load them into an app I'm
> > writing.
>
> If I remember correctly there is a free limited version of Maya3 from
> alias wavefront.

I was told by an SGI sales that (all of this is also mentioned on the web
site other than point (a)):-

a) There may not be a Linux release due to it not being terribly popular
(NT being their strongest platform for release) by the effects studios.
However, this wasn't set in stone so it might still go ahead.

b) It will not share the same file formats as the commercial version.

c) The final rendered output will contain a watermark that will clearly
state that the product used is for educational use only.

Other than that, everything else will work.  It's a shame that they may
not release the Linux version, but perhaps if enough people wrote to them
and ask for it to be released they may do so.  The alternative would be to
fork out the £6,000+ asking price of the full version :)

> Right having just checked http://www.aliaswavefront.com the maya
> personal learning edition is supposedly available for download in
> febuary. However I wouldn't hold your breath for aw to hit a shipping
> date. There is always persistence of vision of course.

It'll be a 150Mb download or $15 for a CD when eventually released.  I
wonder if they'll include any documentation with it.

PovRAY - now that does bring back memories :)

Regards,

	Martyn

--
http://www.drake.me.uk