[Gllug] We can put an end to Word attachments

jim at lateral.net jim at lateral.net
Wed Jan 16 11:56:19 UTC 2002

Hi,

> Surely with StarOffice and OpenOfiice we should start to encourage
> Word attachments?!?!

I think it is a good compromise my CV is written in open office in .doc
format but it has minimal formatting, full justification, 1 font helvatica
which I believe to be very common, a little bit of bold to highlight
section heading and almost no underlining.  It comes in at 21k, 2mb .doc
files are just unecessary and probably a waste of a persons time.  I spoke
to the word only agency yesterday by phone, they were suprised but not
unhappy and quite happy to accept it.

> Send them back with a not saying "Open, read, understood and edited
> under Linux with OpenOffice".
>
> In the end, Linux will probably be ahead of Microsoft Word itself,
> which can suffer a lot with version changes (e.g. Word 6 documents
> opened with Word 97/2000 or whatever) catastrophically. I remember it
> being a big problem at the BBC. Departments had problem exchanging
> Word documents by email.

M$ office comeds with lots of filters for different office applications but
unsuprisingly they are not installed as default and requires the techie to
fiddle with there menu system.

> This is probably not true today, with the BBC's Desktop project
> applying in most offices (though the standardization across the
> country probably remains poor).
>
> Also rumours of a lot of Linux in the back office at the BBC.

This is true they even had it on display it at one of there road shows.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk