[Gllug] Debian gateways

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Jan 31 14:25:05 UTC 2002

On Thursday, 31 Jan 2002, Bruce Richardson wrote:
>On 1/31/02, 1:14:42 PM, robin.c.smith at bt.com wrote regarding RE: [Gllug]
>Debian gateways:
>>13 floppies to get Debian installed from the network ( cable modem ), the
>>box didn't have a CD-ROM drive.
>Actually, you need a maximum of 5 for a network install: boot disk,
>rescue disk (root image) and 3 driver disks with kernel modules on.

I was on the point of saying that, until I realised that to use the
cable modem you need a DHCP client...

Presumably, though, Robin Smith had another OS on the machine to
download the floppy images with; newer Debian installs will let you
grobble the base system under that OS and stow it somewhere (on the
hard disc) before starting.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk