[Gllug] OT - NTL issues and ADSL providers

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 17 08:22:02 UTC 2002

On Wed 16 Jan, Dylan Brewis wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> After several months of enquiries, I have finally managed to get some
> definitive information about cablemodem Broadband service from NTL/Telewest
> in my area (Deptford.)
>
> NTL have informed me that there will be no service since Lewisham Borough
> Council will not allow them to do the necessary work to upgrade the old
> cabling. Does anyone know if this a legitimate position for LBC to take?
>
> I intend to contact my councillor and MP, along with other relevant officials
> at LBC, as well as Oftel, since I believe the council's position is
> anti-competitive and restricts my freedom of choice. I may even contact
> Watchdog!
>
> I have no confidence that there would be any resolution to this situation, so
> I would appreciate any pointers towards a non-BT consumer ADSL service
> (preferably cheaper?)
>
> Cheers
> Dylan

   Local authorities are under pressure to restrict roadworks by preventing
anyone digging up a road during a set period from the previous roadworks
except for genuine emergencies. This can obviously cause problems if new
ducting has to be installed.
   Last week I was informed unofficially by a BT engineer that a new deal
was to be launched on Tuesday 15.1.02. Arrange the connection with your ISP,
buy your own ADSL kit with a pair of ADSL filters and fit it yourself, BT
charge a small amount (I think it might be 50.00) for setting up their end
of the link but do not attend to your end, then it's 25.00 per month charge
for the service. I don't have any other information about contention levels,
etc.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk