[Gllug] ADSL modeom/router/splitter recommendations

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Mon Jan 14 15:18:26 UTC 2002

Vincent AE Scott wrote:

> will(will at hellacool.co.uk)@Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 12:24:49PM +0000:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Anyone got any recommendations for these?  I am thinking about getting
>>wires only ADSL (plusnet do a month minimum contract) and I need the
>>hardware.
>>

> well the modem option is way cheaper than the router, but i'm not sure
> if it works under linux or not.  50 odd quid for the PCI modem:
>  http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-info3-info.asp?&m=y&quicklinx=14XK
>
> but you'll need a micro filter, not sure why, but
> http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ recommends you get two of them

I reckon I will get an alcatel speedtouch USB thingy, I should be able
to route/firewall that myself and it comes with two splitters.  I found
out that it uses pppd to connect so I should be able to do all my
firewalling etc.

Does anyone know of any cheap suppliers?  It is £136 including Vat and
delivery  for the Speed Touch USB - Self Install Pack (Includes Two DSL
Filters).

https://www.netlynksecure.co.uk/dslsource/order.pl

Will.

--