[Gllug] Application development across all platforms

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Fri Jan 4 11:02:44 UTC 2002

On the DB front it may be easier to use an ODBC connection initially so you
can switch the databases a little more easily. There can be performance
problems with this. At the risk of stating the bleedingly obvious: if you
really need very fast DB access then you should probably be using something
closer to the native DB interface...

If you do go with an HTML interface then you may wish to consider PERL for
the implementation. I think if you want VB to be come cross platform you
will need to re-write. I'm not aware of any mac/unix thing that can work
with VB code.

FWIW I feel that PERL and VB 'feels' pretty similar. They both have quite
abstracted DB access and heaps of additional modules available. They're at
about the same 'level' in terms of C as a 'low level' programming language.
With mod_perl on Apache PERL can get very good performance too.

In the future you could try to use the Tk modules for PERL to code stand
alone GUI. To run this at the moment you'll need PERL to be installed on all
of the clients. There are alpha versions of a PERL compiler though that
would allow native executables to be created for almost anything. I don't
know how quickly the compiler will become useful though.

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk