[Gllug] We can put an end to Word attachments

Gordon Joly gordon.joly at pobox.com
Wed Jan 16 10:57:21 UTC 2002

Surely with StarOffice and OpenOfiice we should start to encourage
Word attachments?!?!

Send them back with a not saying "Open, read, understood and edited
under Linux with OpenOffice".

In the end, Linux will probably be ahead of Microsoft Word itself,
which can suffer a lot with version changes (e.g. Word 6 documents
opened with Word 97/2000 or whatever) catastrophically. I remember it
being a big problem at the BBC. Departments had problem exchanging
Word documents by email.

This is probably not true today, with the BBC's Desktop project
applying in most offices (though the standardization across the
country probably remains poor).

Also rumours of a lot of Linux in the back office at the BBC.

Gordo (BBCNC, BBC Multimedia Centre, BBC World Service Online, 1995-1998)

--
Linux User No. 256022
Gordon Joly//////////
gordon.joly at pobox.com