[Gllug] nmap

harry postituk at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 29 12:34:03 UTC 2002

Hi all

The following is the nmap output from my Debian box.  I  can see the need for
ssh, domain, squid-http but I have no idea what some of the others are.
Sunrpc is used for nfs and I have tried to stop this until such times as I
need it but have had no joy. I have even tried "rmmod sunrpc" along with nfs
and lockd.  Would this cause any security implications. The only one that
appeared red was ssh.

Starting nmap V. 2.54BETA30 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
(The 1085 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port      	 State       Service
22/tcp   	  open        ssh
53/tcp  	 	  open        domain
80/tcp    	  open        http
111/tcp  	  open        sunrpc
139/tcp    	 open        netbios-ssn
515/tcp   	 open        printer
3128/tcp  	 open        squid-http
8080/tcp  	 open        http-proxy
8081/tcp  	 open        blackice-icecap
Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 2 seconds

I am trying to make the Debian box front facing with the soon to be Windows
NT box to hide behind it hence all the recent daft questions.  I have also
tried Bastille for Debian and had some laughs last night when my firewall
rules kept killing ssh luckily I have not got rid of the kvm switch yet.

--

Harry Jackson

14
"The extension of womens rights is the basic principle of all social
progress."
Charles Fourier

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk