[Gllug] ADSL Hacking.

Darran D. Rimron-Molloy ddrm at digital-science.net
Thu Jan 31 12:14:03 UTC 2002

> What? So you hacked the BT Openworld Black Box?

Yep. Start to finish took about 2 hours - longest part was working out
the pinouts for the serial cable and learning that my new soildering
iron handle gets HOT if you leave it on too long. (one burnt finger
later)

> What does it run.

A propriatory OS. Which is flash-upgradable. They are, IIRC, Running
4.0.1 with custom BT bits (the GUI for "quickstart", etc) - I upgraded
mine to 5.1.0 - which has advantages, if you are using NAT, it makes
things like H.232 work :)

> I've got the exact same thing here at work. 5 static ip's and all.

Firewall on it? If your ISP don't port-filter, there is no reason why
you can't host on your ethernet ADSL.  Which has, from most of my
digging, been a "nono" - especially on the NAT options. You've pointed a
web-browser at the ip of the router, right? If you want to open your own
up the first stage is get a cat5 cable and a RS232/9 headshell. I tried
a "converter" and it never worked, I had to make my own....

	-Darran

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk