[Gllug] Sale - only a month late - Part one Sun Microsystems kit

Kim Hawtin kim at aldigital.co.uk
Thu Jan 10 16:06:30 UTC 2002

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 06:07:54PM +0100, Xander D Harkness wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-01-10 at 17:51, tet at accucard.com wrote:
> > At 450 quid, these are IMHO a fair bit overpriced for what you're
> > getting (a second hand, old, slow machine, for which you'll need
> > to buy an extra keyboard and mouse).
>
> I would have to agree Sun kit is expensive.  I think when they were
> bought a year ago they cost US$2,700.
>
> I am quite happy to get one myself, a quick browse through the job
> market shows Sun jobs paying much more than Linux jobs in Belgium.
>
> There are some Sun 220s going here too.  If there is interest I shall
> get prices for these.  These are half loaded with two 18Gb or 9Gb
> drives and 1Gb RAM with a 400Mhz processor (and space for one more).
> They also have their rack mount kit attached.

these on the other hand are propper lil' stormers by comparison.
very solid rackmount boxes, and perform very well! i had one of
these as a jsp type server and its IO performance rox! java apps ran
about 7-10 times faster than on an equivalent PC, with same memory,
cpu and scsi .... but they cost ... well ... quite a bit more.

yours,

kim
--
| A.L. Digital Ltd.   Tel: +44 (20) 8742 0755     |   .^. Don't fear|

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk