[Gllug] Debian gateways

Ian Norton bredroll at atari.org
Thu Jan 31 11:10:03 UTC 2002

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 02:36:08AM +0000, Formi wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Axel Segebrecht wrote:
>  Are you aware of the mdk urpm* utilities, they are wrappers around rpm,
>  that will solve package dependencies, download from ftp, nfs, ...
>
>  I have been using them a lot lately with a couple of minor glitches.
>
>                                         Formi.

yeah but rpm tends to screw the idea of dependancies, i suppose urpm is the
same kind of idea as apt, mandrake seem to be putting its little druid wrappers
around everything. the moment you do something like edit rc.firewall on
mandrake there is little point in keeping with any of the mandrake updates
after that cos it will nuke things,

i have come to the conclusion that if it turns out you need to do any
'moderatly advanced' modifications to say init scripts or iptables after a
mandrake 8.1 install then you will be screwed sideways but mandake if you do it
then even run linuxconf,

mandrake 7.0 was very good imo, my firewall runs mandrake 7.0, although its rpm
database is screwed (glibc upgrade did it), (so i compile from source now) it has 2.4.17 kernel, hmm, actually, i bet there is nothing much left of its original mandrake 7.0,

recently i am of the opinion that mandrake now sucks as much as redhat, debian
forever!

:-)

bred

--