[Gllug] Talk by Richard Stallman in London, 12 Feb

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Sun Jan 27 14:16:58 UTC 2002

Quick note: I believe the Canberra LUG didn't invite him to speak. As I
posted originally the LUG had perhaps two or three people in the audience.
As I think about it there was probably more than 20 people there; but
certainly not as many as 50.

IIRC (and this is pretty vague) he was invited by a computer professionals
group in Canberra. There's some cross-over I expect between the LUG and the
bunch who organised it; the meetings are/were held in the same room. I don't
think that RMS's talk was even announced/discussed on the LUG list though.

I also think if RMS were to play to the audience he wouldn't necessarily
need to have a flashy presentation and a laser pointer. I think a little
personal grooming would have done wonders. If he simply described what libre
software is, where it came from, and what it does; he would have been far
better off (who was it that forced RMS to bathe before he could stay in the
house?). If he had crossed over into ROI, TCO, etc, (and I think questions
were asked and brushed aside) then so much the better; but that wasn't
required.

If you were to talk about Apache to .Net developers then you could play to
their common understanding. I also think RMS had a harder topic in that he's
talking about abstract philosophical/political stuff and Apache/.Net is
mostly techie stuff. Perhaps RMS got the wrong audience; but to the
uninitiated (RMS and (GNU/)Linux had a much smaller profile than they do
now) the bar he was asked to clear wasn't all that high. RMS has admirably
demonstrated that he is capable of some spectacular feats but IMHO he
couldn't play to his audience.

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk