[Gllug] Wireless cards -PC world

mallum breakfast at 10.am
Tue Jan 1 21:22:51 UTC 2002

on Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 08:24:02PM -0000, Jake Jellinek wrote:
> Come within half a mile (or so) of my house, use DHCP and you'll be
> broadband surfing without any need to authenticate. Sniff all my clear text
> traffic if you like.
>
> Noone in the area seems to have discovered this yet though, been running it
> like this for about a year, never had a single unexpected DHCP request (or
> sign of unusual network activity).

I had the same problem. Am now denying unknown mac addresses via a little
iptables magic - though Im sure it'd wouldn't be  too hard to
spoof a mac address on one of the cards. Keep meaning to switch to
IPSec ( freeswan ) but its meant to be a bitch to set up.

BTW, If youre thinking about wireless stay well clear of the dlink
cards - they are pure evil IMHO. Orinocos work well, but if you wanna run an
AP [1] then get something with a prism2 chip ( like a linksys ). The
sitecom has a prism2 chip but Im yet to get it running in Master mode
- I think a firmware upgrade is needed but that requires a firmware
upgrade with a windows laptop ( which I dont have :( )

  -- mallum

[1] http://people.ssh.com/jkm/Prism2/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk