[Gllug] Wireless cards -PC world

mallum breakfast at 10.am
Wed Jan 2 12:04:13 UTC 2002

on Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 12:29:01AM +0000, Richard Cohen wrote:

> I had two Lucent cards, which work just fine.  Would I be right in saying
> that, in the general case, simple cards can't (or don't) do AP functions?

All cards IMHO can do it ( the apple airports have orinocos inside ) ,
Its just a case of the manufacturer releasing the info on how to do it
( I think ) and its not easy. The hermes chipset ( what the orinoco
has ) doesn't yet have any open source AP drivers available :(

The main advantages of using an AP over Ad-Hoc is speed ( 11mps vs
2mps ) and power consumption.

> I've compiled up this driver and installed it, and it seems to be working
> well.  I actually have a dual-booting laptop at the moment (the temporary
> node - lent to me by someone I've been working on a project with), so I
> booted up Windows and tried to run the upgrade.  Something went wrong, to
> the extent that the PCMCIA support in that Windows installation seems to be
> completely bust now :-)  Anyway, I tried the driver on my home gateway (ADSL
> in one side, wired and wireless LAN out the other) and it seems to be
> working - my iPAQ has 'logged on' to the AP, and is happily working in
> Managed mode (with power management on, even), while the gateway machine is
> in Master mode.

cool. Sounds like you had more luck than me ( I got master up but
noting would connect ). Im back at work tommorow, so I'll have to get
my grubby hands on somebodys windows laptop.

Also if your using orinicos ( and you have an ipaq iirc ), I have a
nearly untested little Python/C wireless network scanner ( or whatever
) I hashed togeather a while back. Can mail you it off list if your
interested.

  -- mallum

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk