[Gllug] Geforce2

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Tue Jan 22 13:48:07 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 22 January 2002 11:50, you wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have a Geforce2 32Mb nvidia MX (I hope all that makes sense to
> you) from Jetaway. I have had tried to configure X for this driver
> and as usual have fallen over. I use xf86config and there are only
> two drivers for the Geforce nvidia
>
> Generic 256
> Generic DDR
>
> This is for a Debian Potato Install so is it because I have got an
> old version of X or something else. I intend to install woody
> anyway, would this solve my problems.
>
> Please do not read if you take this stuff tooooooo seriously.
> <severe_rant>
> Is it just me or is X the biggest pain in the arse of all the stuff
> to get running on a linux box. I have had no end of installs that
> all go great except when it comes to getting the GUI running. Is
> there some voodoo magic that can be applied to get the damned thing
> running or are we doomed to trial and error fault finding every
> time we install. Forgive a lesser mortal for running off at the
> mouth about this but I would have thought that over the last 18
> months these things would be getting easier. Is this a potato
> induced rant (read into that what you may). I have even tried to
> get it running on a generic card but I end up with a font that
> would not look out of place on a hill in Los Angeles. Do not come
> back and say something about how easy it is to get working or the
> next time I see you I will shove said video cards so far up your
> arse that you will be shittin VHS and talking white noise for
> months.
> </severe_rant>
The problem is that Potato still uses XFree 3.3.6 which doesn't
support the more modern cards as well. With XFree 4.1.0 (4.2 is out
now just) these cards are a doddle to set up (I have done so several
times) and you don't need Mandrake wizards to do it. just install
XFree86 4.1.0 (is there a Potato or Woody X4 package?) and type
# XFree86 -configure
This automatically generates a working XF86Config file in /root which
you can then test with
# XFree86 -xf86config /root/XF86Config..(something)
If that works OK (it should, although you may need to edit and fiddle
with the resolutions you want) you can copy the config file to the
default place (/etc/XF86Config-4 or wherever Debian puts it and make
the link X --> XFree86 in /usr/X11R6/bin
HTH
Stephen.
--
Stephen Harker