[Gllug] All My Super Blocks have dissapeard... just like that 8-(

Steve Maher ndtltd at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 31 23:21:11 UTC 2002

People,

I need some help recovering around 30 GB work of data which has NOT been backed
up as it was a 80GB disk and I planned on getting abother to back it up,
however I forgot..

Anyway, I've tried all of the stock freshmeat utils and I've surfed until I've
dropped and I cannot find anything to recover the data for me. Every utility
seems to need the superblock.. cant imagine why 8-P

I've no idea whats happened here, but the machine hasn't been rebooted for
around 8 months so I guess the daemons got it there..  I can see the data if
strings/grep the device, and I can also make out what looks like the inode
table. Now all I need is enough information to be able to identify a inode and
then go and collect all of the blocks and write a new file? Sounds easy 8-)

So does anyone know enough about ext2 to make an objective assesment on this..
I don't want to waste a week examining the ext2 code to find that I'm p'sing in
the wind..

Thanks

Steve Maher

=====
----- NetDrive Technology Limited -----
/  Real solutions for a virtual world   \
\         enquries at ndtltd.com           /
  \    Tel-fax: +44 (0)7775832553     /
   \          AIM: SGMaher           /

http://uk.my.yahoo.com