[Gllug] Apache Timeout

Tom Gilbert tom at linuxbrit.co.uk
Fri Jan 18 11:40:57 UTC 2002

* Jackson, Harry (HJackson at colt-telecom.com) wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Now that Oracle have moved to apache we are getting all our gear onto it.
> Isn't it amazing that they will move to an open source product only when
> they pay for it, but I digress. We run some scripts that can take up to 20
> minutes. Where do we set the CGI timeout value. In http.conf I found the
> following but we have tried changing these to no avail. We have also had a
> look on google and found lots of people with the same problem but no
> answers. Any help appreciated.
>
> #
> # Timeout: The number of seconds before receives and sends time out.
> #
> Timeout 300

It's this one, but note that if your cgis take THAT long to run, any
sane browser will timeout way before this. Apache can't control timeouts
set in the browsers.

Create a status page with an autorefresh to tell the client his document
is being prepared, then give it to him when you're done, or even send
him email telling him to come pick it up. 20 minutes is kindof
stretching the HTTP model =D

Tom.
--
   /V\    | Tom Gilbert, London, England | http://linuxbrit.co.uk |