[Gllug] Swap file size

John Hearns john.hearns at framestore-cfc.com
Thu Jan 31 17:57:30 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-01-31 at 17:08, Jackson, Harry wrote:

> are being managed.
>
> Investigating a 4Gb dump could be a bit of a tw at t. Are there tools out there
> for looking through this sort of data. I know there are ones for dumps in
> the Linux kernel and I imagine there are ones for most other Commercial
> Unix's. When a dump is taken do you send it to the supplier and how do you
> know where to send it.

In Irix,
crashdump reports are stored in /var/adm/crash

Also, (reading from the man page) if it is configured,
a compressed coredump will be copied from /dev/swap to
this area when the system reboots.
There is a space limit set, so it won't write if there is
less than 'minfree' on that disk.

On reboot, the system writes what, IMHO, is a rather nice
and useful analysis of the crash, in a file called 'analysis.n'
This has the reasons for the crash etc.

>From the savecore manual page:
"In the event of a software-detectable system crash, one of the last
steps
     that the kernel performs before shutting down is to write the
contents of
     system memory to the dump device.  There are several ways in which
this
     information can be used to determine the cause and solution to the
crash."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk