[Gllug] routing broadcast traffic

Jonathan Dye jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com
Tue Jan 29 11:40:17 UTC 2002

At 12:26 29/01/02 +0000, you wrote:
>On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 10:58:42AM +0100, Jonathan Dye wrote:
>> You could probably route only the broadcasts to the specific port that the
>> servers use therefore you wouldn't get all the other crud.  That is
>> assuming you can route the broadcasts at all.  It probably requires some
>> trickery with netfilter.
>
>hmm, i initially thought that but broadcast addresses (i think) are
>simply another IP that all hosts with a particular subnet listen on in
>addition to thier own ip,
>
>i am uncertian what port halflife broadcast traffic goes to or even if
>its tcp or upd ,

Try using tcpdump to have a look at a running server.
I had a similar problem with Halflife but I can't rememeber which port it
was and I never got around to trying to route the broadcasts.
I think broadcasts are not routed by default, I don;t know how to change
this.
>From what I can remember the bradcasts showed up in tcpdump with a
destination of 255.255.255.255:<portnumber> so you may be able to do some
pre routing stuff to re-write this to <machineIP>:<portnumber> with
iptables or soemthing.

JD

MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk