[Gllug] We can put an end to Word attachments

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Tue Jan 15 14:22:28 UTC 2002

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 jim at lateral.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I agree with everything you say and Mr Stallmans esssay but it is extremely
> difficult to put into practice.  I have within the last half hour send a CV
> in to an agency who insisted that the CV be sent in word format only and
> this was for a Unix/Open Source position, I wrote it in Open Office.

I'm surprised they didn't want it in HTML :-)

The number of people who seem unable to mentally cope with unbeautified
text is quite worrying. At least they could be done with it and require
submissions in their own version of docbook...that would perhaps be
the ultimate in complete pointlessness[0].

--jcm

[0] Do I see a queue of people waiting to extoll the many virtues of XML
in my life - after all, surely my toaster must at least support XSLTs in
addition to regular methods of bread manipulation? ;)

P.S. Ok, I'm in a weird mood today, has something to do with coffee.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk