[Gllug] ALSA sound driver problems

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu Jan 3 16:31:03 UTC 2002

On 1/3/02, 4:15:22 PM, will <will at hellacool.co.uk> wrote regarding Re:
[Gllug] ALSA sound driver problems:

> I have the whole kernel source in /usr/src/linux-2.4.xx/ I think, so I
> have the right files but they are being looked for in the wrong place?
> If so, does anyone have any idea how I make the ALSA install program
> look in the right place or do I have completely the wrong end of the
> stick.  I also have the file /usr/include/linux/modversions.h

You should have the sourcecode used to compile your current kernel in
/usr/src/linux or - if you generated kernel packages - your custom
kernel-headers package.  You should not have the standard kernel-headers
package installed.  So remove it and either make /usr/src/linux a symlink
to /usr/src/linux-2.4.xx or install the custom header package.

That may not solve your problem, though.  IIRC, you have to compile and
install the 3 alsa components (library, modules and binaries) in a
specific order and problems like the one you describe crop up if you
don't.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk