[Gllug] ALSA sound driver problems

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Thu Jan 3 16:15:22 UTC 2002

Paul Brazier wrote:

>>Well, I have a nice new motherboard with an onboard sound card.
>>sndconfig reported that I have a VIA Technologies|AC97 card
>>and that I
>>needed the ALSA driver.  I downloaded it and 2 other tar.gz packages
>>that I needed and tried to compile them by doing a ./configure:
>
>>/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:1:2: #error Modules should never use
>>kernel-headers system headers,
>>/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:2:2: #error but rather
>>headers from an
>>appropriate kernel-source package.
>>/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:3:2: #error Change
>>-I/usr/src/linux/include (or similar) to
>>/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:4:2: #error -I/lib/modules/$(uname
>>-r)/build/include
>>/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:5:2: #error to build against the
>>currently-running kernel.
>>

> I think I'm having slightly similar problems. (See my earlier post a few
> days ago).
> As I understand it, the C header files that were used to compile the
> current kernel are at /usr/include/linux/ and these are needed to
> compile the ALSA module (so it knows what "hooks" are in the kernel). If
> you compile some other kernels their header files will be slightly
> different, and will go in /usr/include/linux-2.4.13/ etc. (one for each
> version)
>
> For some reason I'm not sure of you can't just use the running kernel's
> headers, you have to have the entire kernel source code in
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.13/ or whatever. (The Kernel Compiling HOWTO  and the
> kernel README has stuff on this). Perhaps the standard RH7.2 kernel
> doesn't have support for the ALSA module or something?

I have the whole kernel source in /usr/src/linux-2.4.xx/ I think, so I
have the right files but they are being looked for in the wrong place?
If so, does anyone have any idea how I make the ALSA install program
look in the right place or do I have completely the wrong end of the
stick.  I also have the file /usr/include/linux/modversions.h
  that the error message appears to be refferencing.

--
*claw claw* *fang*
*shred* *rip* *ad hominem* *slash*

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk