[Gllug] PPP link

Andrew Richardson ahrichardson at clara.net
Wed Jan 23 19:29:28 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 23 January 2002 2:26 pm, ~George wrote:
> Hi,
>  I think I remember that Andrew Richardson reported that Mandy 8 PPP is
> busted but madrake 8.1 is OK

Well as my name is mentioned...

My problems were more basic in that with Mand'8.0 I had problems with basic
kppp modem dial-up.  They all started after I configured local networking as
well as the dial-up.  Kppp would do a handshake and then block all packets.
I did fix it once but it broke again later when I changed the box's IP
number.  The only solution was to run usernetctI -ppp up (I can't remember if
that was the exact command) as root from the shell.  I was told by someone
that the solution was to remove the default router entries.
As Mandrake 8.1 tried to set all my dial up via a pci winmodem on my laptop
and ignored my Xircom PCMCIA card I had to switch distro over to RedHat.
No problems with RedHat dial up :)

I do seem to remember Mandrake 8.1 as working OK on a desktop box with an
external 3com modem.  however, I thought that the network configuration was a
bit 'in your face' and I think RedHat does a cleaner job with Network scripts.

Andrew

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk