[Gllug] Re: [Gllug] Wireless cards -PC world

Darran D. Rimron-Molloy darran at rimron.co.uk
Sun Jan 6 15:30:04 UTC 2002

> An LG product with information stating that they had it running on
> Slackware.
> I really do not mind what distro they say they got it working on, though
> obviously for the 'public' it would be better just to state Linux.

I recently picked up slackware again for the first time in a LONG time, to
stick it on an old laptop....

I am glad to say that it is still the distro that feels most like a "real"
install. It doesn't "do things because RedHat decided that is the way it
should be" - the package management system, albeit old, is still one of the
easiest to get to grips with as a user (ie, ripping open the packages to see
what it inside them), and, in simple terms, it works well, and it's SMALL!

My only "bad" point is that, as far as I could see, version 8 doesn't
support install from floppies any more.... but I guess I am living in the
past now.... but what other use did a 16meg Dell P133 laptop have? (other
than BeOS *snigger*)

As a rule of thumb, if it works on Slackware, it'll work on anything - I
have seen stuff that will work on Redhat only, unless you emply the stills
of Alien, which is a little to advanced for "the average" user....

	-Darran

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk