[Gllug] Faqs.org under threat

Kieran kieran at esperi.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 3 11:23:11 UTC 2002

I don't know how "new" this news is, but...

When I went to faqs.org 2 nights ago, there was a prominent link stating
that they were having funding problems, and asking for donations towards
bandwidth charges.

Does anyone know how long this has been a problem?  (Actually,
until recently, faqs.org wasn't a site I used much.  Which sites do
people prefer to get their docs from, apart from the linux documentation
project?)

It touches a pet concern of mine: what happens to the free software
commmnity if a couple of key sites go down?

The real "omega threat" would be sourceforge, of course.  Could you
imagine the bandwidth bill that place has?  And could you imagine
as situation where 30,000 projects all found themselves needing new web
sites, ftp and anonymous cvs arrangements?

A darwinist might suggest that this would be a good thing:  there are
clearly a number of dead projects at sourceforge, and a weeding out is
probably needed.  It might also be the case that consolidating developer
effort into fewer projects would be useful.  But it would be a hugely
painful process to go through, I think...

Regards

Kieran

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk