[Gllug] library includes and compiling

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 16 08:49:02 UTC 2002

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Simon Stewart spake:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 12:58:13AM +0000, Nix wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, tet at accucard.com said:
>>
>> > PS. Since there are almost certainly poeple on the list that know more
>> >     about such things than I do, anyone care to explain the difference
>> >     between DT_RPATH and DT_RUNPATH?
>
> <snip>
>
>> They look to me (from the ELF spec and from bfd/elflink.h) as though
>> they're identical, save that one is deprecated and the other is not :)
>
> Out of curiousity, for those of us too lazy to RTFS, which is which?

DT_RUNPATH is searched first, if it exists; only if it doesn't is the
deprecated DT_RPATH used.

IIRC (but I haven't checked) GNU ld only knows how to create DT_RPATH
entries, so this is one deprecated feature that's not going to be
removed for a while :)

--
`Perhaps you should have asked Santa for your program as a Christmas
present.' --- Terran Melconian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk