[Gllug] We can put an end to Word attachments

simon simon at cadre.tv
Tue Jan 15 15:42:28 UTC 2002

If only it were that simple.  Agencies are all too often controlled by the
IT they have.  Most buy off the shelf databases most manage cv's as rtf as
it is safer for viruses but some databases only except .doc files.  What you
have to remember is most of them have fairly clever doc management systems
that are loading the cvs and details and matching jobs so if the software
gets a format it doesn't like it causes a blockage in their loader and often
there is no one pc literate enough around to deal with such occurences.

Also many of the Linux packages produce fonts that look fine as a .doc in
say staroffice or abiword but look like shite in Word  When we were using
Staroffice we had all sorts of client complaints moved to Abiword still more
problems.  I realise it is the M$ product that is limited but in reality
that doesn't matter what matters is your document looks poorly put together
or worse illegible and it reflects on you.

I am a firm believer in beating people at thier own game when they are the
standard.  Hence if linux wants to impose on M$ it is going to have to not
only read and present documnts from Word but also produce documents that are
fully compatable with word. After all it's within Mr Gates interest that
documents from free software looks shoddy in Word as it puts people off
changing as alternatives are seen as substandard.

In short I like the concept but feel change won't come through conflict here
but best through stealth

Simon