[Gllug] Veritas for Linux

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Thu Jan 31 10:58:11 UTC 2002

>> > http://www.veritas.com/news/press/PressReleaseDetail.jhtml?NewsId=9483
>
>Works for me (in Galeon), but it wouldn't surprise me if marketing
>had put up a windows-only web page.

And for me in Mozilla-0.9.7

>> Ouch, it's certainly expensive.
>
>You missed the "prices starting at". The interesting bit is people who've
>already paid out on other platforms say it's almost too cheap....

Actually, I'm one of those that looked at it and was impressed by how
cheap it was. If you're running the sort of operation that needs the
sort of services that vxvm and vxfs provide, then a couple of grand
extra per server is peanuts. For example, we use both of those on our
database servers, and with the hardware costs (we're using quad CPU
machines) and Oracle license costs, the Veritas stuff just gets lots
in the noise. Given the price of other Veritas products, and the fact
that they're doing their very best to price themselves out of the
market, the Linux stuff seems remarkably good value. I was expecting
a figure around double what they're actually quoting.

>Knowing the people on the list I'd expect a mixture of Vince's
>response and general argument that the community developed software
>is as good or better without knowing much about either :)

My opinion is that Veritas are currently way ahead of the free
alternatives, but they have a limited timeframe in which to make
a profit on their wares. The free alternatives *will* catch up,
it's just a matter of time. I'd say they have several years yet,
but ultimately, they will have no market left to sell to, in the
same way that there is no longer any sizeable market for commercial
Unix on x86.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk