[Gllug] Re: Viavoice for Linux (and Mandrake)

Anders Odgaard a.odgaard at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 26 12:30:16 UTC 2002

My original posting was:

1. Does anyone have experience with IBM's ViaVoice for Linux?
   Does it work?
   Is there any alternative for voice recognition under Linux?
2. I have been told that ViaVoice is included on Mandrake's
   distribution. Would anyone be able to help me to a copy of
   the relevant CD (I'm running SuSE 7.3 and don't really want
   to buy another distribution)?

I'm sure that most list subscribers would have deleted the posting
without ever reading it, as it happened to appear on the list in the
middle of an appalling (MS-sponsored?) lot of political nonsense. Please
forgive me for posting it again.

One reply came in:

>Can this be used as a library in an app to provide speach
>recognition?
Yes, I think so but I have never had a chance to try it. Please, see
http://www-4.ibm.com/software/speech/dev/sdk_linux.html for more
details.

>Where?  Is it in the boxed version only?
Dunno. I had hoped someone would give the answer. Probably in boxed
version only.

Any comments to ViaVoice?

Regards,
Anders