[Gllug] London councils and Unix/Linux

Jim Bailey jim at lateral.net
Thu Jan 10 19:48:38 UTC 2002

Hi,

On Thursday, January 10, 2002, at 07:06 PM, gllug at uncertainty.org.uk wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 02:47:51PM -0000, Jackson, Harry wrote:

Not that difficult Diskless nodes Howto spring to mind

> Now I know that people will nick pretty much anything - but could these
> classroom machines be low enough spec that school security would be
> adequate (and still good enough to work on) ?

Not absolutely sure but I know a lot of old machines have 1,2 and 4 meg
graphics using system Ram.  8 and 16mb graphics cards can be bought for as
little as £15 from computer fairs and mail order which should be able to
handle things like the KDE desktop.  I personally use an 8mb AGP ATI card
which runs KDE 2.2 without any problems, though admittedly I have a Duron
650 cpu.

There are a lot of things that could be done again volunteers anyone.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk